Monday 16 January 2012

Lawnscaping–Winter Wonderland

Today I’m back to share another project as guest designer over at Lawnscaping Challenges.
LSCP 160112
The theme this time is Winter Wonderland. I chose to cover a small notebook with pencil and make a mini card to match. I don’t use purples that often so thought this would make a nice change.


I decided I wanted to create my own patterned paper.  I buy a lot of patterned paper but thought it was time to have a play at creating my own, so I dug out some distress inks and two sets of wintry stamps, Frosties & Critters in the Snow.

I firstly coloured some plain white cardstock using a mix of Seedless Preserves and Tumbled Glass and my sponge applicator tool.  Once this was done I simply stamped the snowflakes on using Seedless Preserves as my ink.  This is the completed piece of patterned paper that I used for the notepad.
LSCP 160112(2)
For the blue border I ran my Tumbled Glass inkpad across white cardstock and die cut it with my PTI border die.
LSCP 160112(3)
The darker purple strip was created by using Versamark ink with white embossing powder and then I just ran my Dusty Concord distress inkpad across it as shown above.
For the notebook I turned the book onto the coloured patterned cardstock as shown below and using pencil I marked a line around the edges and cut away the excess. 
LSCP 160112(4)
I used a corner chomper to round the corners to match the curved corners of the pad.  I then added another piece to the top and the back to cover it.  When doing this remember to check where the elastic will sit once the book is closed, I nearly put my blue border down too low!  You also need to allow a little bit of extra room at the top so that when you open the pad it isn’t too tight.

Finally I stamped out two little penguins and coloured them in with my Copics.  I was playing around with the 'bridging' technique that I learnt over on my Color Me Creative classes where you blend two colours together that are a few shades apart.  It takes some practice but it's a great way to get more colours out of your collection.  I thought about doing traditional coloured penguins but I decided I would have purple ones instead with blue tummies, why not lol

I hope you liked my little project.  The wonderful Lawn Fawn are our sponsors this week. 
image
Have you seen any of the Lawn Fawn sneak peeks on the Lawn Fawn blog?  Ooh la la, I think I spy a shoe in there!! (bottom right)  I hope it is because that would work for my Ruby 2 Shoes wouldn’t it?!!  I could add shoes to everything lol

Pop over to the main blog to see more information on the prize and don’t forget to visit the other DT members’ blogs too;

Laurel Beard -     www.laurelbeard.wordpress.com
Melania Deasy  - http://melaniadeasy.blogspot.com/
Lynnette Kauffman -  http://nettersnotables.blogspot.com/
Tamara Laan - http://tamaartjescrapt.blogspot.com/
Ayana Posadas - http://ayanaposadas.typepad.com/
Christy Reuling - http://christygetscrafty.blogspot.com/
Britta Swiderski - http://brittaswiderski.com/
Vera Yates - http://lingshappyplace.blogspot.com/
 
I’ve REALLY enjoyed my time as Guest Designer, no doubt you will see me playing along in the challenges again soon too.  Thank you Lawnscaping for asking me to guest design with you and for being so welcoming.


11 comments:

  1. When I saw this photo I literally sat up and gasped! So stinkin' cute! Who would have ever thought to color their penguins purple? YOU! That's who! They look fantastic! Love how you always think outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the purple winter! Adorable design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ADORABLE! Love the purple penguins.

    PS, I've been trying to comment the last few days, but it wouldn't let me. But I've been visiting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I am very happy for you, because I love Lawn Fawn stamps.They are adorable. Congrats for you!!

    Your card is very cute. I like decorate paper with stamps.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT projects! Love your choice of color and your stamping and coloring too of course! Perfect and so sweet! Also BIG congrats on being their guest designer!
    Hugs, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  6. The purple penguins soooo adorable!!! the colors so gorgeous....Amazing project Ruby :) Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute card. Adorable penguin. Pretty color. I'm loving this!

    app developer for hire

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely perfect. I love that you used purple! Just brilliant! SO GLAD that you joined us! THank you sooooooo very much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why not have purple penguins indeed!! I love this card and notebook duo, a super gift idea and the homemade PP is perfect :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  10. aaah, i like this, i like this! i can change the snowflakes into hearts, flowers, or stars for journal use OR cupcakes and the like for a recipe notebook. the purple penguin is too cute to change though. =]

    probation home loans>

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love orange. i hope you don't mind me copying this and changing the colors. orange is just so perky. lol.

    learn about mortgage rate with access

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping by to view my blog and for taking the time to leave a message. I really appreciate your feedback. Ruby xx

 
Blog Design By -Lindsey Joy Design- ©All Rights Reserved